Tuesday 5 March 2019

Masking tutorial and tips

Hello there,

I am here today with a video tutorial post for Craftyscrappers where I did some masking using our new release Mask-it-up (stamping mask paper). Its a very easy technique especially if you want to make one layer cards. This masking also shows some dimension around the stamped areas. 


I like to use my stamping tool  while making such cards reason being, if I mess up the stamped image it will be easy to stamp again. One trick I follow always while masking is I never colour the image and mask. I always finish with the entire masking and then go ahead to colour. Simply because my image will not be ruined. 


I have a total of 5 projects below and 3 cards have video tutorial. 


Link to video: https://youtu.be/CReG2e0wmJ4

Materials used:

1. Craftyscrappers
    a. Stamps
        i. Sending Hugs
       ii. Some Fishy Loves you
    b. Stencils
        i. Mermaid scales & Plaids
       ii. Flower Wines
    c. Mask-it-up (stamping mask paper)
2. Altenew Inks
   a. Jet black ink
   b. Ocean Waves
   c. Warm Sunshine
   d. Frayed leaf
   e. Lavender fields
3. Hero Arts Ombre inks
4. Colour pencils
5. Wood tree bark base
6. Heavy white card stock
7. Glossy Accent
8. Liquid pearls



Card 1


One layer card using solid stamps




1. Any solid stamps will work for this technique. Here I used flowers and leaves from Sending hugs stamp set.

2. First I stamped the large flower onto a top fold card using ombre inks. 
3. I used another ink to stamp the same image onto a masking sheet. I then carefully cut the image. 
4. I removed the release paper on the back of the masking sheet and carefully masked the stamped flower.
5. I stamped smaller flowers on either side. I made a mask for the small flower too.
6. Using the mask I stamped some leaves around the flowers.
7. To finish the card, I added the sentiment and stamped some more small flowers. 

Tip:

a. Use any dye ink. Pigment inks stay wet and it does not work for this technique. 
b. Do not rush and remove the mask from the cardstock. Sometimes they might tear in between and end up ruining the stamped image. 
c. After stamping onto the mask sheet, cut the image closely so the masking technique works. 


Card 2 


Stamps and stencils




1. After selecting the stamp set, I made a circle die cut out  and placed it on my card. I placed the images on either side and positioned them. Using my Misti, I stamped the images. 

2. I stamped the fish images onto the masking sheet and cut the out. First, I masked the fishes and then used the negative space of the circle die cut to mask the rest of the card. 
3. Using mermaid scales stencil I stenciled it using Ocean waves ink to make it look like waves. 
4. I removed both the masks and then coloured the fishes.
5. To finish the card, I added the sentiment along with some bubbles and hearts. I added some glossy accents to the bubbles and hearts. 

Tip:

a. Best is to colour image after masking. 
b. Use stamping tool and keep the stamps in the same position. If at all while removing the mask, it messes up you can always go back and stamp again. 


Card 3


Masking a stencil





1. I first stenciled directly on a masking sheet and cut out the entire stenciled image. 

2. I masked the area on a top fold card, and added some yellow ink for the background. 
3. Using lavender fields ink I inked the flower and using frayed leaf ink inked the leaves. 
4. I use my colour pencils to do some highlighting (my favourite stenciling technique). I also added some mild yellow in the non stenciled parts (to hide the white from being shown). 
5. I added some liquid pearls to the centre of the flower
6. I stamped a sentiment to finish a card. 


Masking on wood tree bark base







I made these 2 projects to show that masking can also be done on wood base apart from card stock. 


I used the same stamping and masking technique here except that instead of jet black ink I used versa fine black onyx ink so the image is stamped bright enough. After I finished the project, I added a coat of mod podge.


Its fine, if imagine isn't stamped properly. You can always go back with a permanent black pen and fill in the missed parts. 



--Always colour after masking to avoid mess up--


I hope you all liked my video.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel as I will be coming up with more tutorials. 

Follow my blog to get updates on new projects. 


Happy Crafting

No comments:

Post a Comment